Author Topic: Commands log question -- "IRRIGATE-(RB-50%)"  (Read 12431 times)

Gangee

• LC Irrigation Master
Commands log question -- "IRRIGATE-(RB-50%)"
« on: August 06, 2010, 06:51:32 pm »
Hey Jim,

There's a few entries in my log with "IRRIGATE-(RB-50%)".  I know RB is Rain Brain, but what does the 50% mean?

Thanks,

Jim

• Administrator
  • LC Green Star Commander
Re: Commands log question -- "IRRIGATE-(RB-50%)"
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2010, 09:18:55 am »
Hi Gangee,

Good question.  The answer has to do with the fact that the RainBrain algorithm will either fully block an irrigation or it might reduce the irrigation cycle length due to the amount of accumulated rain received within the past 24 hours, with "rain" measured by amount of time that the rain sensor reports "rain."

If the accumulated rain time is 8 hours or more within the previous 24 hours, then RainBrain blocks the cycle completely. If the amount of rain time falls between 2 and 5 hours, it reduces the cycle times by 50%.  If the amont of rain time is between 1 hour and 2 hours within past 24 hours, it reduces the cycle by 30%.

So your log entry shows that RainBrain reduced that cycle by 50% due to rain that accumulated over the past 24 hours.   

Hope this answers your question.

JIm

Gangee

• LC Irrigation Master
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2010, 09:42:07 am »
Jim,

That's great.  My guess was right, but I wanted to put it out there because I feel like it's great content for the forum (I did a search, there weren't any posts on this topic).  

This is just another example of why what you're offering is a such a great solution.  

Now that I'm such an avid user, I've been watching my neighbors and the town's irrigation systems.  My neighbor's irrigation has been going on while mine hasn't.  He doesn't even have a sensor, he has to manage rain cycles the old fashioned way, turning on and off his clock.  Then of course he's turning his clock back on too soon.  My bet is that when turns his clock back on he's running a normal cycle, when he only needs to run at a percentage.  So he's watering when he shouldn't and watering too much.  I also noticed the same issues with the town.  Wasting water is not cool.  

Everyone should be using your Program.  

« Last Edit: August 07, 2010, 09:45:16 am by Gangee »

Jim

• Administrator
  • LC Green Star Commander
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2010, 06:32:13 pm »
Hi Gangee,

Good idea posting about this.  I've answered the question many times via email though the response properly belongs here.

Thanks for posting.

JIm